We want you to be excited to start this new chapter of life, where you have the freedom to discover who you want to be. Our mission is to create a space for you to feel creative, inspired, and valued for your perspective, regardless of whether you’re embarking on a new interest or embracing an old passion. We’re here to help you answer the question, “What’s next?”
One in five people in the US will be over the age of 65 by 2030.
With a demographic landscape quickly changing, just ¾ of adults over 65
actually fit the preconceived notion of a retiree who fully leaves behind the working world. Instead, people are in search of meaningful ways to spend their time. After conducting over 100 interviews with “retiring” adults, life coaches, experts at Stanford’s Center on Longevity, and leaders in retirement design, we’ve learned two things: finding “meaningful” opportunities is challenging on your own, and expanding your horizons beyond your previous job titles is key.
We believe that applying a design lens
to redefine retirement is key to helping people like you expand your horizons and identify meaningful opportunities. Here’s how you do it:
- Have a beginner’s mindset: You are not your career. Forget your old job title, and join Act II as your whole self.
- Maintain a bias towards action: Go out in the world with our recommendations and see what new ideas they may spark.
- Radical collaboration: Connect with Act II members from diverse disciplines, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are a team of Stanford designers, engineers, and psychology researchers interested in redefining retirement. We’ve seen our own parents and loved ones prepare for their next act, and we’ve heard the stories of many more who are challenged by the loss of identity, purpose, and community at the end of their career. By way of setting an example of what Act II stands for, we've chosen not to introduce ourselves by just our titles, but rather as our whole selves.
- Wannabe Voice Actor
- Sous Chef
- Stanley Cup Champion
- Dessert Fanatic
- People Nerd
- Organization Enthusiast
- Research Advocate
- Lifelong Learner
- Eternal Optimist
- Aspiring World Traveler
Our Advisory Board
- Founder, IDEO
- Founder, Stanford’s d. school
- Co-author, Creative Confidence
- Executive Director, Stanford Design Program
- Author, Designing Your Life
- Author, Designing Your Work Life
- Partner and Managing Director of IDEO
- Leader of The Powerful Now, a global initiative bringing design to the topic of aging
- Founder, Double Crown Gaming Co.
- GM & Partner, Microsoft
- Founder of MileIQ, acquired by Microsoft
- Managing Partner, Movi Partners
- Co-Founder, The Q
- Stanford DCI Fellow 2019
- Founder and Principal, Quotient Design Research
- Associate Consulting Professor, Stanford University
- Lecturer, Stanford University
- Design Researcher, Quotient Design Research